Latest MMORPG Expansions and Updates
Getting bored of the world’s best MMORPGs, or simply want to keep a pulse on the market?
There have been a lot of expansions and updates featured in the past week that every gamer and gold seller will be excited about. Blizzard definitely had the week’s biggest announcement that they’ve been teasing about for weeks now.
Missed the announcement?
Blizzard has announced a new World of Warcraft expansion: Legion. The company has seemingly went back to when their franchise game was on top of the world: Burning Crusades. The new expansion has a long list of features (coming soon) and is bringing back one of the hardest, most hated bosses players have ever faced – Illidan.
Legion will either be the revival of World of Warcraft, or it will be the end of a legacy, according to most players.
With the company losing over a million subscribers in the last quarter, they have nearly half the number of subscriptions (5+ million) than they did at the game’s peak.
What features do you need to know about?
- Broken Isles will be the new continent.
- Demon Hunters have been added to the game.
- Players can obtain artifacts, based on spec, that grow with the player.
- Order Halls and followers are being introduced for each class.
- World bosses will be added back into the game.
- New dungeons and raids will be added.
- Players will receive 1 free level 100 character, and the level cap is being raised to 110.
- PvP has been revamped (no details provided).
- Transmogrification has been revamped.
- New social features have been added.
If we’ve learned anything over the years, it’s that some of these features will never make it in-game (remember the Dance Studio), but if they do, this may be the best expansion since Wrath of the Lich King. With the World of Warcraft movie finally being made, it’s time for players and gold farmers alike to start playing the world’s most famed MMORPG again.
Trion Worlds has more updates than any other developer. In fact, all of the major titles under the Trion Worlds brand has had a reveal this past week.
Rift is still alive and will. The now free MMORPG is heading for patch 3.4 called Into the Wild that includes:
- Primalists are added, effectively offering 6 new soul options.
- Expedition zone will be added.
- A new raid will be added with no further announcements.
- New dungeon(s) will be added.
The Primalist is the most important part of the update.
The Primalist will add six new souls: vulcanist, berserker, typhoon, titan, dervish and preserver. Four additional souls will be added in the future. The Primalist will have a new focus bar used for different abilities.
Every Archeage player has been patiently awaiting Heroes Awaken; the largest update ever to be announced. The game will be a lot different after ArcheAge Heroes Awaken is able to be downloaded.
Many of the details about the update have yet to be released. What we do know is that the update will include:
- A lot of new content for enhanced gameplay.
- A new hero system.
- The guild progression system will be revamped.
- Housing updates and upgrades will be added.
- The Diamond Shore offer will be back in the game.
These are just a few of the updates being added. As more information is released, we will know more about this update and what may or may not be included.
Trove will feature the Shadow Tower update. Again, Trion has been careful not to release too much information, so all we know is that:
- The Lunar Lancer class will be added to the game.
- The Acidic Shrill will be a new class of enemies that live in Silicon Valley.
- Supreme weapons have been added to the game with a higher tier of rarity.
The Shadow Tower will be a welcomed addition for players.
The final developer on our list of the latest MMORPG expansions and updates is none other than Bioware. The company hoped that Star Wars fans would take a liking to SWTOR, but the hype fizzled out, causing the game to go into the free-to-play model.
Ever since, Bioware has tried their best to add in fun mechanics and new adventures to keep the game alive.
SWTOR: Knights of the Fallen Empire is a highly revered expansion that is scheduled to be released on October 27, 2015. The expansion will feature:
- You’ll be an Outlander, a veteran of the Great Galactic War and a level 60.
- 16 new chapters will be added to the game.
- Only subscribers will gain access to the expansion.
- The level cap has been raised to level 65.
- Knights of the Fallen Empire is actually a single-player story.
- Multiplayer mode will be changing, but few details have been released.
There is a lot of misinformation and confusion about the new expansion. The single-player story will change the way that multiplayer mode is actually played, but the developer has not divulged what this actually means for players.
We do know that the game will have an impact on the player base due to the single-player, but multiplayer mode tie-in.
SWTOR is only releasing the expansion to subscribers who will get the expansion for free. All players will get a free level 60, which is required to play the game. It seems to us that this is an attempt to revive some of the revenue the developer intended before the game went free-to-play.
Interestingly, SWTOR is the only game on the list that has a solid release date. Even Blizzard has not announced the release date for Legion, but we do know that there will be a few months of beta play prior to the announcement, as usual, by Blizzard. Players can sign up for a beta invite right on Battle.net.
See also: 7 New Upcoming MMORPGs